Which MUD has the largest world?

:slight_smile: Just curious as to which MUD has the largest world.

I’ll start…CoffeeMUD has 25159 rooms in 314 areas. This does include the player housing areas, but does not include the sizes of generated areas like the Instance of Mystery. It also does not include the possible variations of the areas generated by planar travel.

Probably one of the commercial MUDs that have been around for 20 years.

Once you start considering/factoring in “wilderness” or overland maps, the considerations get more muddy (no pun intended).

Our primary world map is 800k rooms, for instance, and we have multiple maps. I’ve seen other games with maps that have 1 million+ rooms, and I would wager that some of those have multiple maps of that size.

Our current room count is over 30k, across 200 something areas, and while I would argue we are probably in the top 10% in that regard, there are games that eclipse us in that area.

tl;dr: not an easy thing to answer exactly

What about unlimited number of rooms (procedurally generated, on demand)? probably beats any static world by its size.

Indeed. CoffeeMUD has dozens of procedurally generated areas, with room numbers not loaded on startup. However, when asking how large a world is, I believe the OP was requesting information on how large the known world was.

we’re at 17109 actual rooms, we can add a few more w/ mining code, but we don’t have any real wilderness/auto-generated rooms at this time on AU

tbaMUD has:
615 zones
30422 rooms

19164 mobiles
23324 objects
4748 triggers
670 shops
19 autoquests

I was going to say TBA mud probably has the most…

In november 2018, according to the code info, the 4D Gameport has —
70903 rooms in 280 zones
23878 mobiles, (9733 prototypes)
64384 objects, (15637 prototypes)

But when I compare it to our current zone list, the number of rooms that players can actually access is a lot lower, just about 25000 rooms, since the zone list includes every room, regardless of whether it is accessible or not.
Also about 7000 of the rooms are “Grid” or “Mine” Rooms, which although they are a part of the world maps, don’t have the detailed decriptions uf “ordinary” rooms.
And there are also two mines of together 1400 rooms, which can only be accessed after someone, (regardless who) dug them out to mine the minerals.

We also have 4 separate worlds, from different time periods, which makes navigation a bit easier.
And around 1800 of our rooms are for “auxilliary purposes”, mostly collected in the Central Area around Recall Point, (Information rooms, Newbie zones, Mud School, Battlefields, Clan Halls, private Player Houses etc).

So when it comes down to actual traditional Zones, which the players can fully access, the room count becomes significantly lower:

Prehistoric: 3000 rooms (+ 2300 in grids) Total : 5300 rooms
Medieval: 4700 rooms
Old West: 2900 rooms (+ 400 in grids and 1400 in mines) Total : 4700 rooms
Future: 5000 rooms (+ 3000 in grids) Total : 8000 rooms
Recall Area: 800 rooms
Auxiliary: 1000 rooms
Total count: 18400 rooms (+ 5700 in grids and 1400 in mines) Total : 25500 rooms *)

*) My definition of a Grid is a zone where the rooms are linked in squares, usually with exits in all 4 directions, (sometimes also up and down), and where the 2-line descs are code generated by the sector of the room. (We have 18 different sectors, so there is still some diversity). Many of the grids have been gone over manually, meaning that individual descriptions have been added, which turns them into “normal” zones, apart from the linking.
The definition of a Mine, is that the rooms have to be actively created by a player, by “digging” in a direction. After that they stay until next reboot.
Auxiliary rooms are Gods and Player Houses, Clan HQs, Event areas, Quest areas etc.

So, just about a third of our total amount of rooms are actually accessible at any given time. Still - it is a lot of rooms, maybe too many?

I am not totally convinced myself that an extremely large world is a good thing, but then again, a too small one would quickly get boring.
It probably depends on the main character of the mud in question. For muds where the primary activities are roleplaying or playerkilling, limiting the world size is probably a good idea, since it makes it easier for the players to find each other. For a Mud like 4D, where the main activities are exploring and questing, a reasonably large world is essential.